Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Orleans Trip

November 1-4, 2009
I was nominated SAA (Student Advocate Association)Historian and so I was asked to travel to the AOA (American Osteopathic Association) Conference in New Orleans. Lauren Rigby (Secretary) and I traveled to her home town in North Carolina to fly out on a cheaper flight.

I had never been to New Orleans so I made sure to take plenty of pictures. As a member of the SAA we were expected to network mostly so had a lot of free time to explore. I thought I'd see a lot of the hurricane devastation but I didn't see anything but the painted X's which meant dead bodies had been discovered at that specific location.

During the conference, a new president was nominated. A traditional New Orleans band played as we made our way to lunch. It was catchy music, the kind that makes you want to dance. I didn't dance, it's hard to do when your surrounded by people who don't dance at all. It was fun to notice all the employees in the hotel dancing around as we walked by.

Supposedly Bourbon street is the partier street, 24/7 partying happens on this street. The bronze and gold street entertainers reminded me of Las Vegas. I thought the buildings were pretty interesting, they called it the French quarters but they building seemed to have a lot of Spanish influence.


This funky car reminded me of Chicago, I always wonder what state of mind the person gluing useless trinkets onto a car is in. I just noticed that the drivers side windows asks for donations. Hmm...


Here is one of the many cruise dinner boats. We were so excited for a meal until I realized it was a buffet. Mass produced food doesn't really sit well with me, I told my husband it's because he's spoiled me and we enjoy qualitiy over quantity. It was really disappointing because everyone raved about Creole food. I was thinking Creole like my Grandma Nativa's cooking, but I've discovered that my Grandma's cooking is more influenced by Spanish rather than Creole French. I miss my grandmas rice and beans and fried plantain yum.





My old roommate from UCLA is from Louisiana so I made sure to call her so we could meet up. She took us to the airport (Thankfully we didn't want to pay another $40 to a crazy taxi driver). Unfortunately we were running so late I didn't get a chance to take a picture with her. I'm still sad about it. This is her son Steven, isn't he so cute? Stephanie and I ended up getting married a week apart a year after we had been roommates. It was fun to catch up with her, it's been almost 3 years since we were roommates.

2 comments:

The Lewis Family said...

Missing You Guys!!

Jo Lynn said...

How fun Nativa, I've always wanted to go there! Love all the pictures and sounds like you had a blast! I'm also excited to read the book you recommended, I'm currently reading the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, but I'm sure I'll finish it fast. :) Love ya and hope you two had a wonderful Thanksgiving!