Sunday, October 10, 2010

Site Tours

The past couple of weeks we have traveled to several site locations. Ashland, KY, Princeton & Huntington, WV.

Derek really liked Ashland because he would get to rotate with 3 PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) doctors, a specialty that he is really interested in. The head resident gave us a great tour of the hospital. It was the first tour where we were actually taken into departments rather than showed the hallway leading to ER or the door leading to Pediatrics. We were able to see the equipment Derek would be learning on. The town seemed family friendly; I even spotted a mall…a real mall with shops that are open inside! Another added bonus is that I’d have another one of my roommates 3 hours away in Louisville, KY.

Princeton seemed nice as well it was a lot bigger than Lewisburg. While Derek toured the hospital, I visited with the Watsons who just moved there for their rotation in June. Acalias played with the kids while I got the scoop about where to eat, fun places for kids to play and pricing for homes and rentals.

Huntington is home to one of the biggest party schools in the East, Marshall University. The hospital seemed old and run down. It was located in the city, it felt constricting as if they had run out of space to build. I bypassed the tour due to the repulsive smells I encountered even before the tour began. The plus side about Huntington is their great selection of restaurants. We ate at an amazing Indian restaurant, every bite was heavenly! On our way home I counted 6 Gentlemen’s clubs on one street. Derek and I agreed that (aside from the great food) the town didn’t seem to fit what we’re looking for.


Where am I? Why am I still in my car seat mommy?

Acalias did well during our travels as long as his basic needs were met. After our tour in Ashland, KY we sat in a meeting room so that the students can ask questions. Acalias was farting so loud it was hard to believe they had come from a 3 month old little boy! I had to change him three times during that tour; thank goodness the restrooms had a changing table (a rare commodity on this side of the country).

Lately Acalias has been rejecting bottles and binkies. Hopefully he learns to accept a bottle before we travel in December; I can’t always breastfeed on demand in public. He has opted to suck his thumb. I’m constantly replacing his thumb with his binky to avoid a habit that might not ever end.

2 comments:

Simi B. Cazeau said...

Can't wait to meet this little boy!

Jo Lynn said...

Wow, sounds like a crazy place other then great food! Embrace the thumb, you know you can't keep it from him. LOL Sorry he stopped bottles, Sav did the same thing and she NEVER took one again after that age..I was stuck and felt like I could never leaver her with anyone..well I couldn't till she started solids or for only an hour and a half. He's adorable!! Text me when you know what day we get to meet up in the city! Love ya