Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My First Marathon

PRE-RACE
In January I signed up for my first marathon. I had been wanting to run a marathon for years but fear kept me from running one. This year I was a little more proactive, instead of including the goal on my list of 2009 new years resolutions, I registered and paid for the Ogden Marathon.
As the months and weeks crept by, I increasingly became anxious and doubtful of the decision I had made to run a marathon. I considered calling the Marathon director to ask if I could run the half marathon rather than the full marathon. Life had gotten in the way and I didn't feel as prepared, I wasn't able to train as much as I wanted to.
The Ogden Marathon was scheduled for May 16,2009. I called an old mission companion who resides in Ogden to arrange to stay with her and her family the night before, thanks Phipps family. Janelle and I caught up on our lives and we lost track of time. I didn't get to bed until 11:30pm but I didn't mind, I was so anxious and nervous that I new I would lose sleep. I tossed and turned until I eventually fell asleep at around 1 am.

RACE DAY
I was awaken by the ringing of my cell phone at 4:15am, it was my brother, he shouted "What mile are you on?". I quickly jumped out of bed to get ready. The bus loading began at 5:00am and I didn't want to forget anything. I didn't feel as nervous in the morning. I ate a quick small breakfast (a cliff bar) and Janelle dropped me off at the hus loading. Wall Avenue was swarming with bus and runners everywhere. As I stood in line, I could hear all the excitement in the conversations going on around me. It was cold and I was tired, I was not interested in striking conversations with random marathon runners.
The bus ride lasted 45 minutes, the drive seemed endless. During our drive I listened to a veteran marathoner 54 year-old woman seated in front me. She openly admitted to how nervous she was although she had completed 65 marathons. I was amazed that she had participated in runs all over the world, her favorite was in Rome. She reported that she loved the scenery but they race did not provide Porto potties.My nervousness quickly returned after she had mentioned how she felt despite all her experience.
We finally arrived to the starting line where music blasted, runners encircled the camp fires to keep warm and over 50 Porto potties were available for use. I thought I had prepared for the 35 degree cold weather but I was freezing. I promptly found a camp fire and tried to warm up. I stood awkwardly close to random strangers, I no longer had the option to avoid conversation. A group of young runners offered me pain pills, the went on about how hung over they were from the previous nights activities. Another runner questioned me about my marathon experience. When I informed him that it was my first marathon he gave me advice that his wife gave him. "Run the first 10 miles with your head, Run the 2ND 10 miles with your legs and run the last 6 miles with your heart." He went on to tell me how many runners fail to complete the marathon because they over estimate their abilities and run too fast. I thought that was great advice, it was a good thing I had already decided to run to finish rather than run for a specific time.
After 1.5 long hour in the cold the cannon was shot and we were finally on our way. It as amazing to see all 2,000 marathons running down the road. I had committed that mans, wife's advice to memory. I wore my hydration belt so that I could keep my pace, I didn't have to slow down during the water stops offered every 3 miles. The first 10 miles flew by and I felt great, but I ran past several runners who were obviously not feeling as great as I felt. One man held his had in his head tight, others limped, they were great examples of not running with your head. By mile 17 I received another call from my brother, he is a jokester,he finds humor in stereotypical jokes he screamed,"Run the Po Po's [police] are chasing you!" I found no humor in his comment and continued to run. As Corney as it may sound, I cheered "go legs go"in my head to keep myself going. At mile 19 Derek called to inform me that he was waiting for me at the mouth of Ogden Canyon and he cheered me on. By mile 20 I was determined to push harder to run the last 6 miles at a faster pace. I ran mile 21 fine but then I hit what is known as "the wall". I struggled to put one foot in front of another, I finally spotted my husband at the mouth of the Canyon.

Mouth of Ogden Canyon, picture taken by my husband Derek
I nearly cried I was happy to see him. He ran with me for about a mile before he returned to the Finnish line. The weather was increasingly getting hot and I was so tired my pace slowed down to a 13 minute crawl. At mile 24 my visiting teacher Tara (who had promised to run the last 3 miles with me met up with me) appeared out of no where. I was over joyed to see her, she took the weight of the water belt off me by wearing it for me. The last 2 miles seemed to go on forever. I poured water over my head at the last water stop because the heat was so intense. As I came closer to the end of the race, my husband joined me once again and I saw the Phipps family cheering me on it made me so happy to see them there to support me. Near the finish line I spotted my mother to my right with a sign cheering me on. I yelled "I told you I could do it!" She was so worried and paranoid about the race that she offered to pay me not to run. She didn't realized that her offer only fueled my determination to complete the race. My brother and his family were on the left hand side cheering me on. It was such an amazing feeling to have people I didn't even know cheer me on. I seriously felt like a superstar, especially when I was awarded a metal.
To view pictures of me running during the race, please click:

http://www.zazoosh.com/events/searchPhotos/201?bib=3539

POST-RACE thoughts and advice for future runners to be continued. . .

2 comments:

Brooke said...

WAY TO GO!!!!! Proud of you! I think it is awesome- and your time was fantastic!

LAINA said...

You are amazing. Really. Anyone who runs a marathon is amazing. That is something I will never do but I am always so happy when someone I know does it because that is one more amazing person that I know. I hope your recovery has gone well. I will see you at church again soon and then I can say congrats in person.