Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hard Work Pays Off!

This week Derek was accepted into the Sigma Sigma Phi National Honorary Osteopathic Fraternity. I'm especially proud because there were times when we were applying for Medical School that we felt discouraged. Several people suggested he try looking into other career options and some flat out told him that many don't make it. I can recall our frustrations when he wasn't accepted into medical school after applying the first year. The following year, we were so thankful to get into West Virgina's Osteopathic School. Now that we are here, we realize the Lords hand in our lives in specifically directing us here. Everything fell into place as far as finding a place to live, having sufficient savings to move and meeting great people once we arrived here. The school couldn't be any better, it continually ranks top 10 in the Nation. The little town isn't so bad (although I still have my occasional complaints). Overall, we are happy. I think about the other schools that we wanted to get into so bad and I really don't think we would have been as happy(as far as school curriculum & overall learning experience).

The following pictures were taken before the Sigma Sigma Phi inauguration dinner:


Can you tell my husband loves getting his picture taken? Here is saying "OK...I'll take a picture...but I don't want to!


This is the letter he received that notified him that he was accepted...just one day before the inauguration dinner. We almost thought that he didn't get accepted.

Derek attended the inauguration dinner last Wednesday. He was feeling bombarded with all the studying he still needed to complete and he's been under the weather for some time now. He wasn't as excited to attend as I thought he would be. Once he attended the dinner and returned he was content.

He learned more about Sigma Sigma Phi's objectives and purposes, which are: To further the Science of Osteopathic Medicine and its standards of practice, to improve the scholastic standing and promote a higher degree of fellowship among its students, to bring about a closer relationship and understanding between the student bodies and the officials and members of the faculties of our colleges, and to foster allegiance to the American Osteopathic Association and to perpetuate these principles and the teachings through the maintenance and development of this organization.

Derek was surprised that not all the students that he had interviewed with were accepted. He said that the organization is truly seeking out those who will make a difference in the world. He said that he felt special at the dinner, it was nice to mingle with the professors that are a part of the organization. They have a lot of service activities that they are excited to about this next year.


The pin he received


His certificate, that we have proudly hung in our office.



I'm so proud of him. I'm glad we didn't let other peoples discouragement and pessimism hinder his ability to get accepted and to excel in medical school. I will never try to hinder someone else's dreams by being the one to discourage!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

We are so proud of him!! That is so awesome!

Brooke said...

OH, and the "loving" to get their picture taken thing is definately a Rodeback boy trait. UGH!

Stewart and Becky said...

Way to go Derek! Glad it all worked in your favor. You rock... and that fantastic wife of yours! What a great team you two make.

Simi B. Cazeau said...

He's already looking like a doctor. Great job Derek!

The Imperfect Pie said...

congrats to derek! Nativa I"m so excited for this baby!! my goodness you're getting close. its pretty miserable huh? I lived on tums too, don't worry.

p.s. we're prego again and I'm already poppin the tums. ha!

m said...

Great job Derek & Nativa!

LAINA said...

That is great! I am happy for him and happy for you.

You have always been so encouraging to us. I really appreciate your support as we start our second year applying process all over again. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement you always give.

It never helps to be a "realist" in these times. I don't consider it being "real", just being discouraging.