Friday, July 18, 2008

...And his name shall be Skofeild

Last night my husband and I drove all the way to Westpoint to see a litter of puppies. We have been planning to purchase a dog for a while now so we found an add on KSL. I’d opt for a baby any day over a puppy but I’m learning to compromise. My husband says that I wouldn’t pay any attention to him if we had a baby…that just might be partially true based on how much I pay attention to him when were visiting with our niece and nephews.
After what seemed like we drove in circles for hours, we found the house. My husband
is so funny; he was literally jumping up and down in excitement. His voice changes when he sees puppies, he talks in a kiddie voice. The seller asked us if it the puppy was going to be our “first family dog” then she compared it to being our “baby”. I’m still getting used to the whole idea of the dog being an actual part of our family so her comment kind of left me with an awkward feeling. In my family we never had animals in our house let alone in a bed! Derek gave me a prep talk about what the expectations of the puppy will be, he even made the sound effects of what it will sound like if we don’t give it enough attention. I warned him and said “the moment you pay more attention to the dog than me, he’s out!” I know it’s harsh, but I didn’t grow up with pets. I have survival stories as a missionary having to run away from dogs (…and those memories are still vivid in my mind.)
We put a deposit down and we will be bringing our puppy home on Monday! We’ve named our puppy Skofeild after the character Micheal Schofeild from the series on Prisonbreak, explanation of the reasoning behind it is another post in itself.

Below is a pic from the KSL add, we will be purchasing the dark brown male in the back row!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

You just wait...puppies are fun and they will drive you insane. The potty training IS NOT FUN! but cuddling with a sleepy puppy is awsome (and you will be shocked at how attached you get). I hope you have better luck than us and don't end up with a dog that is deaf or has severe allergies!! Can't wait to see him :)

Damion says "you'll know who is training who the first time you have to pick up warm squishy poop in a bag!!!"

Mollie said...

I am so so so jealous!!!! I want a puppy SO much! But Carlos won't let us while we live in an apartment. Isn't that so mean?! I want a baby too, but that is a couple years off, so a dog would be so perfect right now. I am really happy for you, but I am a little sad for me :)

Stacy said...

He is cute! I can't wait to meet him!

Burk Family said...

Cute puppy. I used to be such a dog person but I do NOT want a dog for a while. It will be fun someday to get a dog for our kids and then THEY can take care of it, not me!
Okay, I'm SO glad you wrote that memory about me because I had totally forgotten about that and it made me laugh so hard. Tell me another one you remember!!
Mine is when you burned to a crisp your beautiful rolls you had labored all day to make. That was so classic.

Married Mannings said...

I'm so excited about your puppy!! YAY!! I can't wait to meet him.

Rachael and Brad Huntsman said...

Oh I'm jealous...we want a puppy some day too! Can't wait to come back to Utah and see him!