Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nifty Thrifty: Personalized Vases

I was honored to plan my Grandma Nativa's 80th birthday this year. I wanted it to be a picture perfect birthday party with out being frivolous with money that I don't have. I'm excited to say that I didn't lift this idea off another craft blog like I typically do, I came up with this idea just for grandma.

Step 1: Gather the following items to complete your vase: Spray paint, modge podge,rubber bands,glue gun, ribbon.


Step 2: Look around your home for containers that you may already have. In my case I use my old gel bottles, sugar free juice containers and old Tupperware. Measure each container for photo sizing. Spray paint or paint each container a few days in advance to allow the paint to dry

Step 3: Find your favorite photos. Add text to the photos. I use photo shop, for those of you who may not have a photo editing program you can do this at any local digital printing store. I requested words that describe my grandmother from each of my family members.

Step 4: Use modge podge as adhesive for the photos and use the ruberbands to keep photos secure. Allow photos to dry overnight. Use modge podge to create a textured finished look. I used 4-5 coats for each vase.

Step 5: Add ribbon

Step 6: Add party favors.

Step 7: Add flowers


Step 8: Pat yourself on the back and be prepared to receive a lot of complements. Everyone loved these vases, grandma felt special to have these homemade personalized vases at her surprise party.


Stay tuned for more about grandmas surprise birthday party...

2 comments:

Simi B. Cazeau said...

and you can count on Grandma keeping these forever...They turned out great Tiva. I think you have added more years to her life by surprising her...It was great hearing her rave about how special she felt..

Stewart and Becky said...

Awesome idea Nativa! I may be the one lifting your idea off yout blog.